Planning your testing efforts can help you do testing in a smooth way hence expanding its proficiency and effectiveness.
For mobile application, things to be tested are:
Application Implementation or installation testing checks the successful installation of mobile applications across various mobile gadgets, models and operating systems. It is generally carried out before the application first reaches out to its customers.
- OTA – OTA testing – Over-the-Air (OTA) Testing is a strategy used to predict the performance and unwavering quality of a remote gadget. OTA testing is an approach to guarantee that the gadgets planned or chosen will play out the manner in which it is expected to, by estimating its whole signal path.
- Wi-Fi – Test if the App is depending upon Wi-Fi supports Wi-Fi connections in all devices.
- Data Cable – Common network tests for Datacom cabling include length, wire map, cabling links provide the desired transmission capability to support the data communication desired by the users.
- Bluetooth – Test if the App needs Bluetooth support, it gets access in all devices.
Application should have the option to uninstall effectively with no error. The application symbol can not, at this point, be available on the device. To check information of contacts, messages and schedule applications to guarantee that it is yet present in those applications relating to the uninstall application. Verify if co-related files & folders can get removed from Phone ROM directly.
- Application logo
Test how your app icon will look on store as well as in device after installation.
Splash screen testing plays an important role in conversion from clicks to installs. start testing with one primary difference, such as portrait vs landscape or one background color vs another.
And also well check for Low Memory, Visual Feedback, Exit Application & Start/Restart of the Application.
Types of Mobile App testing:
- Documentation testing
- Functionality Testing
- Usability Testing
- Mobile application interface Testing
- Compatibility Testing
- Performance Testing
- Interruption Testing
- Security Testing
- Localization Testing
- Beta Testing
The easiest automated testing is to make sure your documentation gets prepared properly. It requires simply running a documentation tool, and checking that it has properly structured your documentation.
Travis CI, App veyor, Sphinx, Jekyll
- Quick setup
- Test Pull Requests
- Pre-installed database services
- Auto deployments on passing builds
- Clean VMs for every build
- Mac, Linux, and iOS support
- Works with any source control
- Fast build VMs with admin/sudo access
- Multi stage deployments
- Windows, Linux and macOS support
- ships with a link check builder as a default
- automatic testing of code snippets, inclusion of docstrings from Python modules
- easy definition of a document tree, with automatic links
- Works with HTML, LaTeX, ePub, Texinfo
- plugins that support link checking
- built on the Ruby programming language
- content gets stored in text files instead of a database
- well-supported Word press importer
- menu plugin that allows managing menus inside the Forestry CMS.
Functionality Testing is a type of software testing that legitimize the software system against the functional requirements/specifications. The aim of functional tests is to test each function, by providing suitable input, verifying the output for the functional requirements.
Appium, Selendroid, Robotium, Ranorex
- It’s a cross-platform that allows you to write tests across multiple platforms
- It is a server written in Node.js.
- No modification of app required under test in order to automate it
- Similar concept for automating native or hybrid apps
- Full integration as a node into Selenium Grid for scaling and parallel testing
- Multiple Android target API support
- Powerful and robust automatic UI testing for Android Apps
- Download as a single JAR file which can be placed in any folder
- Shorter code
- Automatically makes own decisions, e.g. when to scrolls
- Test execution is fast
- Test using data sets from Excel, CSV files or SQL databases
- Easily add or change test scenarios just by modifying the test data
- Complete more tests in less time with automated procedures and test data
- Data-Driven Accurate Testing
Usability Testing or User Experience(UX) Testing is a testing method for measuring how easy and user-friendly a software application is. Usability testing mainly focuses on the user’s ease of using the app, flexibility of application to handle controls and ability of application to meet its objectives.
Reflector, User Zoom, Loop
- It wirelessly sends phone / tablet screen to PC or Mac to watch how people use the app
- It’s a wireless screen mirroring app
- It turns Mac, Windows and Android devices into AirPlay, Chromecast or Miracast receivers.
- It doesn’t require any adapters or cables, works with any device
- Easily record all connected devices, Including audio, device frames and more.
- Establish criteria for UX performance & UX measurement
- Drive product strategy and prioritization
- Make data-driven decisions throughout the development process
- Expand quick & tactical testing to support designers, product managers and marketers
- Continue with the test and validate to keep up with the pace
- Competitive Benchmarking
- A / B Testing
- Accessibility Testing
- Search Engine Findability Studies
- Mobile & Tablet Testing
- User Testing
- True Intent Studies
- Information Architecture Testing
Mobile application interface testing
For mobile application interface testing or UI testing, Automation or Manual testing can be considered to check Screen Resolution, Screen Size, Different UI Elements, Style: Color and Theme Scheme of the Device, Multi-touch or Single touch, Long or Short Press, Location, etc.
Coded UI test, Selenium, QTP, Calabash
Coded UI test:
- Ease of IDE and other features
- It gives Record & playback testing support
- Supports VB.net & C# languages
- It is suitable for UI testing in almost All Applications
- Coded UI backs technologies like Web Services, Window phone applications, Web apps
- Supports Perl, PHP, Java, C#, Python, Ruby languages
- Supports All browsers
- Suitable UI testing tool for Web Applications
- It gives Record & playback testing support
- It supports VB script
- Supports Firefox & IE browsers
- It is suitable for UI testing in almost All Applications
- It gives Record & playback testing support
- It permits tests to be written in Ruby using Cucumber
- enables auto UI synergy such as pressing buttons, inputting text, validating responses, etc.
- It provides real-time feedback and validation
- It can be used for both Android and iOS app testing as native or hybrid apps
Mobile compatibility testing is checking or validating that your application behaves as expected across the combination of mobile devices and browsers that your customers will be using to access your application.
CrossBrowserTesting, BrowserStack, Browsera, Rational Clear Case, Ghostlab.
- AI-powered, zero maintenance, no scripting & cloud-based test automation that just works.
- Test works on any device & browser with no modification
- Functionalize test cloud gives infinite test capability
- Have AI-assisted test creation as ML engine converts it to automation
- Get interactive mobile app testing facility
- Initiate Automated mobile app testing
- Zero setup as well as no maintenance for speedy releases
- Browsera tests and reports cross-browser layout contrasts and scripting errors
- Auto refreshes all browsers during changing local files & injects style
- Works smoothly on any browser you count for
- Compiles Sass, Pug and many more scripts
- Take a direct Screenshot once you find bug in system
Performance Testing is a process used for testing the speed, response time, stability, reliability, scalability and resource usage of a software application. The goal of performance testing is not to find bugs but to wipe out performance barriers.
Apteligent, NeoLoad, New Relic
- Analyze the performance of mobile app in real-time
- It provides converged visibility and contextual analytics
- It reduces churn rate and facilitate better collaboration
- Supports Agile and DevOps load testing
- Gives component testing, API Testing, Pre-Production testing and full system-wide load tests
- Integration with CI servers like Jenkins, TeamCity and Bamboo
Interrupt testing is a part of mobile app testing where the mobile app will be interrupted unexpectedly with various scenarios. The businesses or developers perform it to verify how the mobile app reacts to the interruption. It safeguards that the application runs in the background during the interruption and resume successfully then after.
Mautomate, Wizard tool, UIAuto Monkey, Monkey Tools
- helps you to record test cases, can be executed anywhere, anytime
- Make mobile apps highly stable by testing on large number of devices
- Compare performance across devices in different networks
- Get Report on quality and response of the mobile apps
- Automate functional and regression testing of web, Windows, and Java applications
- Record scripts against the application to capture actions to perform during the test
- Use checkpoints to verify application attributes.
- It is mostly written in Java Script with a well-structured source code
- It has well established & mature codebase
While considering Security testing – Threat Analysis and Modeling, Vulnerability Analysis, Security Threat from Hackers, Security Threat from Rooted and Jailbroken Phones, Security Threat from App Permissions, Exposed Authentication:, Insecure Communication, Malicious Third-Party Code, etc needs to be analyzed for smooth running of an App with all the security issues well checked.
OWASP Zed Attack Proxy, Retina CS Community, Google Nogotofail, Veracode, and SQL Map.
OWASP Zed Attack Proxy:
- It lets you automatically find security vulnerabilities in your applications
- It provides Intercepting Proxy
- Active and Passive Scanners, Traditional and Ajax Spiders
- Brute Force Scanner & Port Scanner are available
- Web Sockets for interactive communication
Retina CS Community:
- Reduce security risks with the most comprehensive vulnerability management solution
- Streamline remediation efforts with automated patching
- Increase visibility and automate vulnerability scanning
- confirms safe use against known TLS/SSL vulnerabilities and misconfigurations.
- It works for Android, iOS, Linux, Chrome OS, Windows, OSX, or any device to connect to the Internet
- As it’s an open source project, anyone can test their apps, contribute new features, provide support for more platforms, and help improve the security of the Internet.
The process of adapting a product to a different language, region and locale is called localization. A localized product creates more business opportunities and helps in growth and expansion.
While localizing, Date and time formats, Currency used, Keyboard usage, Sorting, aligning and collating data, Colors schemes, symbols, and icons, Text and graphics which, in a given culture, diverse legal requirements need to be well translated.
IBM Rational Functional Tester, eggPlant, .NET application localization tool , Applitools
IBM Rational Functional Tester:
- Provides functional, regression, GUI and data-driven testing
- Supports web-based, .Net, Java, SAP, terminal emulator-based applications
- Facilitates test visualization and editing using natural language and rendered screenshots
- Lets you execute the same series of test actions with a varying set of test data
- Supports automated QA which gives rise to augmented intelligence
- Test any Technology on any device, OS or Browser
- Automate process from Mobile to Mainframe, from Citrix to Cloud
- Provides auto tools for localization
.NET application localization tool:
- Easily scan the application and locate all of the text
- Can translate the text with editor to build localized version
- Enjoy complete control over every word to be translated
- Increase coverage and reduce maintenance with Visual AI powered functional and visual test automation
- Get cross browser and cross device to accelerate functional & visual testing
- Get integration with all modern test frameworks, source control, build servers, and collaboration tools
By Beta Testing, you can get the idea about Quality, Usability, Bugs, Performance & Marketing.
There are many tools available for beta testing your mobile app.
UXcam, UserTesting, 99 Tests, TestFairy, HockeyApp
- Tool helps you assess your app’s UX by making a screen recording of all user actions
- Find & Specify the type of user you are targeting
- It captures every micro interaction happening on your app while testing
- Allowing you to replay, analyze and optimize the User Experience
- This Tool helps testing at any stage in development cycle
- Capture and spotlight meaningful reactions and responses from your test subjects
- Users will test real time data of App & provide the review
- Specify the type of user you are targeting
- It finds the perfect testers for you automatically
- It also offers localization testing, exploratory testing, and security testing
- automated scripts allows to test dozens of different scenarios in a short time
- It provides a video recording of what users are doing with the app
- TestFairy integrates with several top bug tracking services
- Check what your app looks like on more than 10,000 devices
This is a topic that’s close to my heart… Thank you!
Where are your contact details though?
This design is steller! You definitely know how to keep a reader amused.
Between your wit and your videos, I was almost moved to start my own blog (well,
almost…HaHa!) Great job. I really enjoyed what
you had to say, and more than that, how you presented it.
Just desire to say your article is as astounding. The
clearness in your post is just cool and that i could suppose you’re a professional in this subject.
Fine together with your permission allow me to snatch your RSS feed to stay updated with imminent post.
Thank you 1,000,000 and please keep up the gratifying work.
I blog frequently and I truly thank you for your information. Your article has truly
peaked my interest. I will take a note of your blog and keep checking for new details about once a week.
I subscribed to your RSS feed too.
Good day! This is kind of off-topic but I need some advice from an established blog.
Is it very difficult to set up your own blog? I’m not very technical
but I can figure things out pretty fast. I’m thinking about creating my own but I’m not sure where to begin. Do you have
any points or suggestions? Thank you!
Yes please be consistent with your blogging and try to find out new and relevant topics which people is highly interested to read
It is in really a nice and useful piece of info. I am glad that you shared this helpful information with us.
Please stay us up to date like this. Thanks for sharing.
I have learn several excellent stuff here. Certainly price bookmarking for revisiting.
I surprise how a lot attempt you place to create the sort of fantastic informative site.
Thank you for sharing your blog with us. It’s been very informative and helpful.
It’s great to find a comprehensive blog! The role of Mobile Testing in quality assurance modernization matters a lot.
You’ve chosen a great look for your blog – it’s very similar to my old blog, but on a different topic. The colors you’ve chosen are very beautiful, and I’m sure your readers will appreciate them.
Hello! I’m at work on my new iPhone 3GS and I’m reading your blog. I really enjoy reading it and I look forward to all your posts. Keep up the great work!